Thursday, November 15, 2012

Greetings Friends, 

“…God is love.” (1 Jn 4:8)  If we are to know God and to understand HIM, HE must reveal himself to us from HIS Word by HIS Spirit.

John 16:13  Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth:

It was the plan of God that Jesus would leave the disciples.  He would go to the cross and die.  He would be buried and he would resurrect.  He would ascend and go to the right hand of the Father.  But then following his ascension, HE would send the Holy Spirit to indwell them and to seal them until the day of redemption.  This indwelling Holy Spirit would teach them and guide them into all truth.

1Corinthians 2:12-13
  12  Now we have received, not the spirit of the world, but the spirit which is of God; that we might know the things that are freely given to us of God.  13  Which things also we speak, not in the words which man's wisdom teacheth, but which the Holy Ghost teacheth; comparing spiritual things with spiritual.

What has the Spirit of God taught you? All that Jesus Christ was to HIS disciples, the Holy Spirit would become the same to them who would receive Jesus Christ as Savior.  

John 14:16-18  16  And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you for ever;  17  Even the Spirit of truth; whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth him not, neither knoweth him: but ye know him; for he dwelleth with you, and shall be in you.  18  I will not leave you comfortless: I will come to you.

What is the ministry of the Holy Spirit as revealed in this passage? This will be our present journey of faith to discover the mind and heart of God in respect to HIS love.  If we are to love people to freedom, we must know what the expressions of this love involves.

Our prayer:  Heavenly Father, I thank you for loving me.  You have loved me in ways that I do not even know.  But I want to know them and I desire to love others in the same way that you have loved me.  Dear Father, love me to freedom.  So that, I might love others in the same way to freedom as well, for I ask these things in Jesus name, Amen!

What is love?  1 Corinthians 13 gives to us a biblical portrait of love.  We will prayerfully examine this text.

1Corinthians 13:1
  Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal. 

In verse 1 we see the phrase, “…sounding brass or a tinkling cymbal.”  I love to listen to great oratory.  To have been alive in the days of Charles Haddon Spurgeon and to have listened to his eloquence of speech, would have been a very exciting experience.  But can you imagine sitting out on the hills of Judea the night the angels came to announce the birth of the Savior of the world:  Jesus.

Luke 2:10-11
  10  And the angel said unto them, Fear not: for, behold, I bring you good tidings of great joy, which shall be to all people.  11  For unto you is born this day in the city of David a Saviour, which is Christ the Lord.

Mr. Spurgeon was a man of great passion for Christ.  You may read of his great love for the savior in the pages of his sermons.  And the angels who stand before the throne of God basking in the glory of God’s great love know full well this love that Paul speaks about in the thirteenth chapter of 1 Corinthians.  But if we fail to have God’s love in our hearts when we speak we are simply putting forth empty valueless noises.  Noises which carry no weight, value or substance.

Consider again, Luke 2:10-11  10  And the angel said unto them, Fear not: for, behold, I bring you good tidings of great joy, which shall be to all people.  11  For unto you is born this day in the city of David a Saviour, which is Christ the Lord.

Do we not find great worth and value in this statement?  “…unto you is born…, a Saviour, which is Christ the Lord.”  There are no tinkling cymbals here.    What about our words?  Do we have charity in our words when we speak?  Or, do I just pour forth wasteful, valueless words?   

1Corinthians 13:1  Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal. 

If God is to love us to freedom, one of the areas that we must grow in our love is loving others through our speech.   Are there any words that I presently use that I should reconsider? The words that I use often times are so valueless that no one even hears me.  They are so empty that those around me train themselves not to listen.  Our words may be so painful to listen to that people simply do not have time for us.  Can you think of relationships in your life that may be suffering because communication is not occurring. 

God’s speech to me is quite different.  “…Charity suffereth long, and is kind;   He has spoken this to me time and time again.  He has demonstrated this to me time and time again. 

Can you think of an illustration by which the Spirit of God and the Word of God joined together to speak to your life with patience and kindness?  Humility will choose by faith to ask God by HIS Spirit to change my speech.  God desires to make words empowered by the Holy Spirit a reality in my life. 

Colossians 4:6  Let your speech be alway with grace, seasoned with salt, that ye may know how ye ought to answer every man.

No comments:

Post a Comment