Wednesday, December 5, 2012



Greetings Friends,

In 1646 at the Westminster Assembly a great confession of faith was established by the Church of England.  One of the questions this assembly posed and answered was:  What is our purpose for living?  

The answer for that question was:  THE CHIEF END OF MAN IS TO GLORIFY GOD AND TO ENJOY HIM FOREVER. Can we possibly imagine what it will be like to enjoy what is most enjoyable with unbounded energy and passion forever.  We have such a warped concept of what is enjoyable.  Our definition of riches is quite different from God’s definition.  Jesus said in Luke 16:11 If therefore ye have not been faithful in the unrighteous mammon, who will commit to your trust the true riches?

We have the demented idea that wealth, money, things, and their pursuit will bring us satisfaction and happiness.  God makes it clear if your pursuit in life is something as worthless as money, then HE will not give to you the TRUE RICHES of life. 

Oh beloved do not settle for the dainties and the delights of this cursed earth.  Set your affections on things above and seek to discover, what it will be like to enjoy what is most enjoyable with unbounded energy and passion forever?

How do we glorify God?    

John 15:8 Herein is my Father glorified, that ye bear much fruit; 
so shall ye be my disciples. (KJV)

If we are to glorify God, we must bear fruit.  If we bear  fruit, 
then we will glorify God.

Galatians 5:22-25  22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy,  peace, 
longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, 23 Meekness,  temper­
ance: against such there is no law. 24 And they that are Christ's 
have crucified the flesh with the affections and lusts. 25 If  we 
live in the Spirit, let us also walk in the Spirit. (KJV)

Bearing fruit is learning to walk in the Spirit and manifesting the very life of Christ, but bearing fruit is also having spiritual children. Bringing others to a saving faith in Jesus Christ, this is our fruit.  If we are to glorify God, we must bear fruit.
 
How do we bear fruit?   

John 15:5 I am the vine, ye are the branches: He that abideth  in 
me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without 
me ye can do nothing. (KJV)

If  we are to bear fruit, we must abide in Christ.   For  without 
Christ, we can do nothing.  If a person does not abide in Christ, 
they cannot bear fruit.

If  matters not what they do or how busy they are.  That  is  the 
truth of Matthew 7:22-23  22  Many  will  say to me in that day, Lord, Lord,  have  we  not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works? 23 And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniqui­ty. (KJV)

Iniquity is self-will.  When a person abides in Christ they do 
God's will, but when they simply busy themselves with Christian 
activities to  give the appearance of Christian service,  they  do 
iniquity.

What does it mean to Abide In Christ?

Dr. Charles Haddon Spurgeon states: "Remember  the 'if' that qualifies it:   If ye abide in me, and  my words  abide  in you,' for a man who is truly in Christ,  as  the branch is in the vine, and who is feeding upon Christ's words  is in  continual  fellowship  with Christ. Beware of  trying  to  be Christians without living daily upon Christ."

Dr. Albert Barnes states: Abide  means  to  "...remain united to me (Christ)  by  a  living faith.   Live  a  life of dependence upon Christ,  and  obey  the doctrines of Christ...and constantly exercise faith in Christ."

Consider also Malachi 3:16 16 Then they that feared the LORD spake often one to anoth­er:  and the LORD hearkened, and heard it, and a book  of  remem­brance was written before him for them that feared the LORD,  and that thought upon his name. (KJV)

God takes record of those who stop in their busy life  and  just 
think and  meditate upon HIS name.  He takes note of it  and  HE 
writes in  down  in a book of remembrance  for  the  purpose  of 
future reward.

Mal 3:17 And they shall be mine, saith the LORD of hosts, in that 
day  when  I make up my jewels; and I will spare them, as  a  man 
spareth his own son that serveth him. (KJV)

God is going to show compassion upon them that think upon his 
name. The names of God reveal to us HIS righteous character.  The 
character to which we are to seek after.

To abide in Him is to think upon him, to think upon his word, to trust and to rest in his promises. To abide with Christ is to live with Christ continually.  We are to make our home with Christ. Home is that place from which when once a man has gone forth He is a wanderer until he has returned. Anytime that I go forth from Christ, I am a wanderer and I can do nothing until I return to him.

If we abide in Christ, we will bring forth fruit.
If we bring forth fruit, we will glorify God.
If we glorify God, we have accomplished his will for our lives.

How Do I Abide In Christ?

John 15:10 If ye keep my commandments, ye shall abide in my love;even as I have kept my Father's commandments, and abide  in  his love. (KJV)

If we will obey HIS Word, we will abide in HIM.   One of  the 
biggest problems we have is that we don't want to obey God.   We 
want to tell God how HE should run our lives.

Jesus said, John 14:15 If ye love me, keep my commandments. (KJV)

If we love Christ, we will obey him.
If we obey him, we will abide in him.
If we abide in him, we will bring forth fruit.
If we bring forth fruit, we will glorify him.

If we glorify him, we will be accomplishing his will for our lives and we will enjoy him. And we will have the opportunity to enjoy what is most enjoyable with unbounded energy and passion forever.

2 comments:

  1. I once read a statement by John Piper in his book "Desiring God" that read: The chief end of man is to glorify God BY enjoying Him forever. Changing that one word changes everything. If we are delighting in Him, which Psalms instructs us to do, we will automatically glorify him. I used to think glorifying God had to be done by my words and actions. I now know that I can glorify God by my very thoughts and meditations upon His being! Hallelujah! I love Him!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Grace takes us to that place of blessing, the place of delight. Delighting in God is a precursor to that which is to come. The gospel is the good news of God.

    ReplyDelete